D Y Patil International School wished to develop a software that could be deployed on their servers to support their administrative activities. They were unhappy with their current system from another vendor specially because of the tedious workflows involved and wanted an easier system.
The system currently has modules for communication, attendance marking and alerts, library management, staff salary management, fees management, school bus management and library management that are actively being used by the staff. Each module has role based permissions that can be easily changed as and when required. Parents of the students also have a login and can access updates regularly. The resulting system has reduced the time needed by staff to complete work by about 25% on average, in a few cases even by as much as 75%.
Encouraged with the results, we tried "productizing" the software, but this was not a commercial success.
I teamed up with a small development firm to develop the software. We closely worked with the users of the system and studied their environment and working style to come up with features and screenflows that suited them. The features were prioritized and developed from beginning to initial deployment within a short period of 3 months.
New features and modules were added based on feedback and new requirements.We adopted a model where we used to quickly develop a module and get it tested with the actual users of the system to get feedback and improve upon the system.
Client Interaction, Project Management, System design, Setup of bug tracking and document versioning systems, Information Architecture, Wireframes, HTML development
Organization of the core modules within the software and settings required for each, derived as a result of interactions with the school staff. The first step was to understand the natural workflow from the staff, done over a course of 4 months in an iterative fashion.
Table showing the navigation bar elements for each user role. Each column shows the elements available for a role. The whole interface was organized using role based permissions. Changes to consider for the next iteration, based on user testing and internal testing were noted in red.
Sceenshot of the messaging module (admin role). This enabled targeted messaging to students by name (individuals), class, division, gender and house. Messages could also be sent to staff based on name (individual), gender, or category of staff. The messages were visible on the member's dashboard when they log in. Where email was present, they were also sent to the recipient's email address for redundancy.
Screenshot of the book issue register from Library module. Various combinations can be entered for filtering and report can be saved as PDF or can be printed.
Screenshot of the fine register from Library Module. This report can also be similarly filtered and exported.